UNIT 3

 Lesson 1: The causative:

We use a causative verb when we want to talk about something that someone else did for us or for another person. It means that the subject caused the action to happen, but didn't do it themselves. Maybe they paid, or asked, or persuaded the other person to do it. For example, we can say:

  • I cleaned my house. (This means I cleaned it myself).

If I paid someone to clean it, of course I can say:

  • A cleaner cleaned my house.

But, another way is to use a causative construction. So I can also say:

  • I had my house cleaned.

In a sense, using a causative verb is similar to using a passive. The important thing is that the house is now clean. We don't focus on who did the cleaning.



Get + object + past participle (get something done)

We can also use 'subject + get + object + past participle'. This has the same meaning as 'have', but is less formal.

  • The students get their essays checked.
  • I'll get my hair cut next week.
  • He got his washing machine fixed.

Have + object + past participle (have something done)

We usually use 'have something done' when we are talking about paying someone to do something for us. It's often used for services. The form is 'subject + have + object + past participle'.
  • I had my car washed.
  • John will have his house painted.

Exercices practice: (have something done and get something done)








Lesson 2: Offering a solution


Offering things in English is essential whenever you want to be polite, have guests at your home, or even organize a work event. The phrases below cover both how to offer various items to your guests, as well as how to accept offers graciously. Learn to use these phrases so that you can offer and accept things graciously and in a socially appropriate manner.

Offering Phrases

It's common to use phrases such as "would you like" and modal forms such as "Can I" or "May I" to offer something. Here are some of the most important phrases used to offer something:

  • Can I get you some...?
  • Would you like some...?
  • May I offer you some...?
  • Would you like me to get you some...?
Example:
  • Susan: Can I get you something to drink?
  • Jack: Yes, that would be nice. Thank you.

  • Mike: May I offer you some tea?
  • Doug: Thank you.

  • Jhon: Would you like some lemonade?
  • Nat: That would be nice. Thanks for offering.


Informal

Use these phrases when offering something in an everyday situation:

  • How about some...?
  • What about some...?
  • What do you say about some...?
  • Are you up for some...?
Example:

  • Keith: What do you say about going bowling?
  • Bob: That sounds like a good idea!
  • Judy: Are you up for some dinner?
  • Zina: Hey, thanks. What's on the menu?


Accepting Offers

Accepting offers is just as important, or even more important, than offering things. Make sure to thank your host. If you don't want to accept an offer, politely refuse. Offering an excuse is also a good idea in order not to offend your host.

The following phrases are commonly used when accepting offers:

  • Thank you.
  • I'd love to.
  • I'd love some.
  • That would be nice.
  • Thank you. I'd like...

 Examples :

  • Frank: May I get you something to drink?
  • Kevin: Thank you. I'd like a cup of coffee.
  • Linda: Would you like me to get you some food?
  • Evan: That would be nice. Thank you.
  • Homer: May I offer you something to drink?
  • Bart: Thank you. I'd like a soda.

Politely Refusing Offers

Sometimes it's necessary to politely refuse an offer even if it's a kind one. In such cases, use these phrases to politely refuse offers. Provide a reason why you want to refuse an offer rather than just saying "no." 


  • Thank you, but...
  • That's very kind. Unfortunately, I...
  • I'd like to, but...

Examples :

  • Jane: Would you like some cookies?
  • David: Thank you, but I'm on a diet.
  • Allison: How about a cup of tea?
  • Pat: I'd like to have a cup of tea. Unfortunately, I'm late for a meeting. Can I take a rain check?



Lesson 3: How long a service will take!


  • How to request a service:
  • Structure: Could I + get / have + this (singular) / these (plural) + object + verb (past participle) + complement
Examples:

  • Could I get this suit dry-cleaned by monday?

  • Could I get these shoes repaired by monday?

  • Could I have this picture framed by monday?

  • Could I get this package delivered monday?

  • Could I have this shirt lengthened by monday?

  • Could I get this sign printed by monday?

  • Could I have this report copied by monday?


Phrases we can use if the salesperson helps us:
  • I owe you one!
  • Thanks a million.
  • You're a lifesaver!
  • I really appreciate it!

Conversation in class

A- Could I have this diploma framed by this afternoon?
B- By this afternoon? That might be difficult.
A- I'm sorry but it's pretty urgent. My cousin is getting his grade in the afternoon.
B- Well I'll see what i can do, but it won't be ready until 6:00.
A- Thanks, I owe you one.


Lesson 4: Evaluate the quality of service

A quality service implies the maximum fulfillment of the client's requirements. Quality principles must be imposed at all structural and organizational levels in a company

These are some of the main characteristics of a quality service:

Tangibility: staff availability and communication with the client.

Reliability: staff have the necessary skills; the service is carried out with the necessary competence and experience.

Speed: the service is carried out within the limits desired and accepted by the client.

Courtesy: the staff shows kindness and respect in the personal treatment with the client.

Protection and security: when the service is offered, security is complete and the absence of risks and doubts is guaranteed.

Accessibility: the service can be used without obstacles or difficulties at the desired time.

Correspondence: the client receives the correct information, in a language that is easy for him to understand.




Lesson 5: Planning and running and event vocabulary



Steps to event planning success:

Define your objectives:
Always ask yourself beforehand ‘What are you hoping to achieve from this event?’. A set of strong objectives can help you to stick to a core plan and produce a fantastic event.

Choose your location:
Make sure that your location aligns with your objectives. 

Set a date:
Ensure that you create a date that is suitable for your intended audience. Make sure that it isn’t conflicting with any holidays or key calendar events, both in your industry and outside it.

Create a plan:
Set yourself a timeline and include all the activities you will need to complete prior to the event. This plan can change but it is important that you can visualise everything that you need to do.

Issuing invitations:
If you issue too early, people may forget and if you issue too late, people may not be able to attend. Make sure you include all the details necessary on the invitation, including date and time, location

The day of the event:
On the day of the event, you should arrive early and make sure that everything is in order. Remember to welcome any special guests or speakers and make them feel comfortable in their tasks for the day

Evaluate:
Take the time to reflect after any event. Look at where you could manage your time or tasks better in the future to maximise efficiency and fine-tune your planning and preparation skills.

Comentarios